Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Is in the Air

Happy Valentine's Day from our sweet heart baby and her proud mama!

This weekend was all about monitoring and mapping Daphne’s natural oxygen range. The doctors want to see it consistently above 75 percent, but Daphne’s body seems to spend more time between 70 and 80 percent. This range isn’t ideal, but it isn’t necessarily concerning. This lower range is most likely a result of her small subclavian artery and should improve as she grows.

To determine if this range is acceptable or problematic for Daphne, the doctors ordered another echocardiogram today. We’ll hear the results tomorrow. I think the doctors are hoping to avoid a heart catheterization, since it would mean a minor procedure involving sedation and a ventilator. If things look good on the echo, I think Daphne will be discharged in a couple of days. If there’s still uncertainty about the blood flow to her lungs, they will go ahead with the heart catheterization.

Because there’s less oxygen at higher altitudes, Daphne will need supplemental oxygen for the flight home and, most likely, after we land until she adjusts from Alabama’s to Utah’s altitude. Since Daphne will need this little oxygen boost after discharge anyway, the doctors have decided to put her on it now so that they can get her levels figured out before she leaves the hospital. They will aim to maintain her levels between 75 and 85 percent, just above her natural range. Before discharge, they’ll teach me how to read the pulse oximeter and make necessary adjustments.

Let's all pray for good news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment