Apparently, Daphne isn't ready to say goodbye to all the nice doctors and nurses who have been taking such good care of her. Last night, her oxygen levels began to dip, and they've spent a fair amount of time below her lower threshold throughout today. The doctors and nurse practitioners agree that she isn't ready to be discharged tomorrow; they're going to observe her over the weekend and then decide what to do.
I’m pretty disappointed and discouraged by this unexpected turn of events, although I fully support the medical team’s decision. Daphne seemed to be doing so well, but evidently, something isn’t quite right. The worst part is that there’s nothing I can do to help her improve her stats. I just listen to the monitor ding, over and over, and watch the numbers fall. Then they rise for a little while, before it starts all over again. She still looks great and is breathing steadily; but something has changed, and no one knows what.
This morning, the doctors did an x-ray to check for fluid on the lungs and an echocardiogram to check blood flow to the lungs. Based on what they could see, things looked good. Tonight the neonatologist, Dr. Toms, suggested we put Daphne back on Lasix to see if that would help dry out her lungs even further (that’s a good thing). She was taken off Lasix two days ago, so that could be the variable affecting her recovery. If Daphne’s stats stay low after we put her back on Lasix, we’ll have to move on to a heart catheterization to explore the blood flow in more detail.
I was really looking forward to being discharged, because we can’t submit the final paperwork for ICPC until we have hospital discharge papers. But if Daphne had to take a step back in her recovery, I’m glad it happened before discharge, while she was still hooked to her monitors. This experience has made me more concerned for the future. Even though her stats are low, she looks good. After discharge, how will I know if her oxygen saturations are low? How will I know if she’s struggling? I wasn’t worried before, but I am now.
Today was a tough and lonely day. Watching my baby struggle was hard and frustrating. I miss my family, and I wish we could all be together. My mom will be joining me in Alabama on Saturday, and I look forward to seeing her. It will be nice to have someone to talk to face to face (although I have appreciated all the phone calls, e-mails, and comments from friends and family).
Let’s hope Daphne bounces back quickly and is ready for discharge early next week.